Blue River Valley Amateur Radio Society
January Dinner Meeting
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM
Place: Lewis Creek Baptist Church
1400 E 600 S(Wilson’s Corner)
Shelbyville, IN 46176
You are cordially invited to attend the BRVARS annual January Dinner Meeting. A great meal will be served by the ladies of the Lewis Creek Baptist Church. Meal cost is $15.00/person. Please get your reservations to us by January 11. Contact Brian Evers @317-835-7301 or John Walker at the number/email listed below. You may pay at the door if you are on the reservation list.
After the dinner we will hold elections for officers for the year 2019.
SEE YOU AT THE DINNER MEETING!
73, John Walker, K9SVL, Secretary BRVARS (317) 402-5000
- The Silent Auction of Don Miller’s(SK) radio and test equipment was a great success on this past Saturday. We were able to sell all items and raised enough funds to sustain the operations of the Society for quite a few years to come. Our thanks to Sandra Miller for the donation of the equipment to the Society.
- The BRVARS is now the repeater trustee for the 147.000 MHz and 442.600 MHz repeaters located on the WIFE tower in Northwest Rush County. Both of these repeaters have a 127.3 Hz PL tone. The Rush County EMA is the owner of the repeaters. We hope to link these repeaters to our Shelby County repeaters at some time in the near future. Radio Station WIFE, Rushville, IN is going to allow us to use a vacant cubicle at the base of their tower to house these two repeaters. We will be installing new electrical service to the cubicle in the near future and make preparations for moving the repeaters. Thank you, WIFE.
- The Shelbyville D Star repeater can be your link to the Indiana Statewide D Star net every Thursday evening at 8:00 PM. If not already linked to reflector 24B you can go ahead and link the repeater to reflector 24B for the Statewide net.
- The Shelbyville DMR repeater is now back on the Indiana DMR Consortium network. The repeater is networked through the W9SMJ c-Bridge. Please note that all 3 DMR networks in Indiana now share the 3118 Statewide talk group.
- The repeater team has the UHF link radio back up and running with the 220 MHz repeater. The UHF link radio links our 220 MHz repeater to the central Indiana 220 MHz repeater network.
I received the following email on September 18 from Steve Eberhart, son of Bob Eberhart(SK), indicating that he was in the process of picking up his Dad’s former call sign that was held by the Society for many years.
Last year, the Society decided to pick up the call sign of Don Miller(SK), W9NTP, at the request of his Widow, Sandra Miller.
After my father, Bob Eberhart’s death the Blue River Valley Amateur
Radio Society (BRVARS) applied for and was issued his call sign W9JUQ.
I now see that BRVARS has been issued Don Miller’s W9NTP call sign and
has turned back my father’s W9JUQ.
My current call sign is W9BOJ (General class) which was my mothers.
Today I applied for my father’s original W9JUQ call sign under the close
relative provision for Vanity call signs. I anticipate the two year
wait being waved. I know my father would have been very pleased that
BRVARS used his call sign for all these years and I also know that he
would have been a huge supporter of the club adopting Don’s call sign.
Thank you for honoring my father like you did.
I think that our concerns over the disposition of the W9JUQ call sign can be set aside now that Steve will be picking up the call as his own. Sometimes, things just seem to fall right into place as they should.
John Walker, Secretary
Fellow Indiana Hams,
We have an opportunity to positively affect Amateur Radio for years to
come. H.R. 1301, the Amateur Radio Parity Act, has unanimously passed
the House of Representatives and moved on to the Senate for
consideration. All you need to do is spend two minutes of your time
send an email to your two Senators supporting the Bill. By doing so,
you will have helped the future of Amateur Radio by guaranteeing our
ability to have an effective outdoor antenna in a deed-restricted
The number of people living in such communities grows exponentially
each year. Often, a ham homeowner has no choice but to live in a
community restricted by covenants. There are nearly 3/4 of a million
licensed hams in the United States, more than ever before. But that
may change if we are forced to live in a community that refuses to
allow an antenna.
Help yourself and help your fellow hams. Go to this link:
Enter your zip code and follow the prompts. The letters are there.
All you need to do is fill in the blanks, hit save, then send.
That’s it. Under 2 minutes and you’re done.
If you haven’t yet done so, please do so today. Your voice counts!
Please be sure to share this message with everyone you know regardless
if they are a licensed ham or not. We can use all the support that we
ARRL Indiana Section
Section Manager: Mr Brent A Walls, N9BA
The weekly 220MHz repeater net runs every Thursday evening now at 8:00PM. You can join in on the net on the BRVARS 220MHz repeater located here in Shelbyville. The repeater frequency is 224.44 MHz. There is no PL tone on this repeater. Say you have no 220 MHz radio, then tune your UHF radio to either 443.900 or 441.350 MHz with a 77 Hz PL tone and you can get on the network through one of the UHF hub repeaters.
33rd Annual Columbus HAMFEST
April 9, 2016
8:00 am – Noon
Bartholomew County Fairgrounds
750 W County Road 200S
Columbus, IN 47201
Prizes awarded every hour
Grand Prize – Yaesu FT-7900 Dual Band Mobile
Talk in: 146.79 MHz (-600KHz, PL 103.5Hz)
Admission $5.00 at the door
Flea market space is available at a rate of $1.00/foot
Setup Friday, April 8, from 7 to 9 PM and 6 AM day of the hamfest.
VE Testing from 9:00am until 11:00am
For more information contact Matthew Bruner, KC9BWO 812-375-4860 firstname.lastname@example.org
April 2, 2016
8:00 am – 2:00pm
Everton, IN on west side of IN Route 1 in the firehouse at the yellow flashing light.
Prizes awarded every hour beginning at 9:00 am
Grand Prize – Jetstream Dual Band Mobile Radio
Talk in on KB9RVR repeater 146.745 MHz, no PL tone
8 ft tables $8 per table
Setup at 6:00 am day of hamfest
For more information call Jack Catron Committee Chair at 765-520-1857